Background

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

One of the nice things about Shriner's Hospitals for Children is that they have "Parent Portal".    Parent Portal is convenient because we can sign in and see test results, doctor’s reports, etc.   I signed in on Thursday, July 24th.  The lab results where there.  All of the results looked pretty normal except the last one… the CK
                                                                                                                                                               CK stands for creatine kinase, an enzyme that leaks out of damaged muscle. When elevated CK levels are found in a blood sample, it usually means muscle is being destroyed by some abnormal process, such as a muscular dystrophy or inflammation. Therefore, a high CK level suggests that the muscles themselves are the likely cause of the weakness, but it doesn’t tell exactly what the muscle disorder might be.(That’s from the MDA website.)  

Pyruvic acid level                                                                                                                                         Result 0.3 mg/dL                                                                                                                                         Normal: 0.3-0.7

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)                                                                                                            Result 2.170 uIU/mL                                                                                                                                  Normal: 0.600-4.840

Thyroxine level (T4) free                                                                                                                              Result 1.25 ng/dL                                                                                                                                      Normal: 0.90-1.67

Triiodothyronine level (T3) free                                                                                                                     Result 4.1 pg/mL                                                                                                                                         Normal: 2.7-5.2

Lactic acid level                                                                                                                                           Result 12.6 mg/dL                                                                                                                                       Normal: 4.5-19.8

Creatine Kinase Total                                                                                                                                    Result 316 unit/L (High)                                                                                                                               Normal: 25 unit/L - 177 unit/L

I’m so angry and frustrated.  This is SO not fair.  Olivia has been acting differently but I don’t know how much of it is because she knows things are different for her and how much of it is really pain/discomfort.  I know that she’s hurting, I don’t doubt that part.  I hope that once school starts and she has that to focus on, she’ll fall back into her routine and some of the things I’ve been seeing will slip away… I just don’t know… 

For now, we just wait until Friday. 



No comments:

Post a Comment