Background

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Originally, we thought that the pain that Olivia was having in her thighs was just growing pains.  I brushed her off and really didn't think much of it.  She can be a little dramatic at times. When it didn't go away after a few weeks, I finally called our regular doctor.  We had an appointment with him on July 2.  I did a little research before our appointment to see if I could figure out what the problem might be.

She has always been “pigeon-toed”.  I have noticed it many times, and honestly, I thought she’d just outgrow it.  In my research, I learned that the in-toeing was causing her legs to twist which might be the cause of the pain. Dr. Abouassaly agreed that could be the culprit.  He checked her over, no scoliosis, she seemed to be aligned in all other ways.  He wanted us to see an Orthopedist.  When the nurse was making the appointment, they told her that they would see us right now if we could come right away.  We were just across the parking lot so that was no problem, we headed straight over.

After watching her walk, an x-ray, and a short chat, the orthopedist agreed that it was very likely “femoral anteversion” and that we would need to see a pediatric orthopedist, in Iowa City.  He promised to call the next day with a referral to Iowa City.
That call didn’t come. 

Over the weekend, the more I thought about it, the more I was led to call the Shriners.  I knew that we couldn’t afford all of the appointments, and surgery, and therapies that this was going to need.  Shriners helps with all of that.  I call Monday morning and the called right back a few hours later with our appointment for July 18th.   

No comments:

Post a Comment